In the early 1930’s a group of Oxford business men and local golf enthusiasts (including E.E. Powell, C. L. Hesterberg, W.C. McSherry, Edgar E, Brandon, and trustee George L. Rider) built a golf course on ~60 acres of land that they owned off Contreras Road, less than a mile west of uptown Oxford, Ohio. They also formed and incorporated a private club called the Oxford Golf Club, Inc. and transferred ownership of the land to the Oxford Golf Club in 1935.
In 1934, the Oxford Kiwanis Club worked with the Oxford Golf Club, and was instrumental in building a municipal pool for the Village of Oxford. The pool and snack shop were built on 1.6 acres of land adjacent to Contreras Road and east of the current parking lot. The pool (named Roosevelt Park) was built as a WPA depression project that provided much need jobs in Oxford and created a recreational facility for the Oxford residents. The 1934 land transfer, to the Village of Oxford, contained a revisionary clause which stated that the land reverted back to Oxford Golf Club (or their successors in title) if it was not used for park and playground purposes by the Village of Oxford.
The Oxford Golf Club was disbanded during World War II, but came back into existence once the war ended. The Oxford Golf Club was reorganized after the war and then incorporated as the Oxford Country Club on Jan 17, 1949. Individuals responsible for the incorporation, who also served as the first Board of Trustees of the new Oxford Country Club were: Joseph P. Wespiser (1st Board President), John Mahany, Joseph C. Seibert, Hubert A. Douglass, Verlin L. Pulley, Earl Folker, Ernest A. Myers, Ladd Wilson, and John Minnis.
All of the property and improvements were transferred from the Oxford Golf Club to the newly created Oxford Country Club, which was formed as a not-for-profit corporation in the state of Ohio. Ownership of the club now resides with all current full and emeritus members.
A snack shop located near the municipal swimming pool served both the pool and as the check-in point for the golf club. In 1953, a new club house was built on the current site, while the equipment garage was built in 1958. In May 1974, upon completion of a new municipal swimming pool on Fairfield Road, the old municipal swimming pool was abandoned by the City of Oxford and eventually demolished. The parcel of land was no longer being used for park and playground purposes by the City, so the land reverted back to the Oxford Country Club in 1976. The original stone wall built by the WPA is still visible today.
An additional 50+ acres (on the north side of the property) were purchased in 1966 with the initial intent of creating an 18-hole golf course. The swimming pool and tennis courts were built in 1980. There have also been plans to build a road along the west side of the property and to sell country club lots and build houses along the golf course. These plans were never realized due to economic conditions and the small population base that supports the Oxford Country Club.
In 2014, while many private golf courses are struggling to survive, the Oxford Country Club has maintained its vitality, beauty and family friendly environment. The manicured golf course, attractive restaurant, and well-maintained pool and tennis courts are treasured assets to the members and guests of the Oxford Country Club and to the community it serves.
CLUBHOUSE, POOL, GOLF COURSE, TENNIS & PICKLEBALL COURTS & RESTUARANT
The use of the Club is restricted to members and guests, except as approved by the Board of Trustees. All social functions must terminate no later than 1:00 AM. Parking is confined to the parking lot. Handicap parking is provided in marked spaces and in posted spaces adjacent to the pool and the first tee box. No alcoholic beverages are permitted on Club property except those purchased from the Clubhouse or golf shop.
The restaurant is open six (6) days a week (closed on Mondays) from early May through October. From November through March, the restaurant is only open on the weekends and some weekdays in April.
Guests may only use the Club facilities when accompanied or authorized by an OCC member approved to use the facility. Guest usage is limited to five (5) visits to the Club per calendar year.
Your Title Goes Here
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.